Winter is here, which means we are all wanting some warming comfort food! Here is a great, healthy take on the classic Shepherd's Pie! We've used sweet potato, as it is lower GI than the regular white variety, to keep you feeler fuller for longer. This is also 100% vegan, so great if you're giving yourself a meat free night but are still craving something hearty.
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 medium diced onion
1 small red chilli (optional)
1 tsp minced garlic
4 diced stalks of celery
3 medium diced carrots
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
2 tins brown lentils
2 tins diced tomatoes
2 tsp paprika (optional)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp basil
1/2 cup chopped spinach
2 Tbsp non-dairy milk
1. Chop the potatoes and place them in a saucepan of slightly salted walter. Bring to boil and cook until soft. Preheat oven to 180 DC.
2. Chop onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, and chilli, and place in a heated fry pan with the garlic and a small amount of water to allow them to soften.
3. Once veggies are softened, add the lentils and paprika and allow to cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the cans of tomatoes, spinach, basil, and soy sauce, and cook for a further 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to mix through.
5. Remove the potatoes from the saucepan, and mash through with the non-dairy milk (or dairy milk if you would like) and a pinch of salt, until smooth and creamy.
6. Remove the lentils from heat and pour into an oven proof dish. Spoon the potato mash on top of the lentils and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes until the topping becomes brown.
Recipe serves 6 and tastes great the next day also.